The Civil and Environmental Engineering Department at Brigham Young University (BYU) seeks applications from highly qualified candidates for a continuing-status-track faculty position in Structural Engineering. The department provides a world-class education in the traditional approaches of structural design and analysis and is seeking to complement current expertise through new and emerging areas including but not limited to
· artificial intelligence and big data applications
· new, innovative, active materials
· smart structures
· large-scale predictive modeling
· natural hazard mitigation and design
· sustainable and resilient design and construction
· non-destructive testing and evaluation
· new testing and design methods
· retrofitting and rehabilitating structures
· soil-structure interaction
Candidates with strong academic, research interest, and expertise in all areas of the broad field of structural engineering are encouraged to apply.
The department will also consider outstanding candidates in other disciplines and is interested in identifying potential candidates for future positions in environmental, geotechnical, transportation, and/or water resources engineering.
An earned doctorate in civil engineering or in a closely related field is required. Candidates must have a strong commitment to BYU and its mission ( http://aims.byu.edu/mission_statement). Successful candidates will have a robust research focus and excellent teaching skills.
1) Teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses primarily in the area of expertise.
2) Developing a strong, externally funded research program wherein both graduate and undergraduate students are mentored and research results are published in top journals.
3) Making significant contributions to professional societies and the engineering profession as well as participating in service opportunities within the department, college, and university.
The department anticipates filling the positions at the assistant or associate professor rank. Initial rank will be consistent with qualifications and experience. BYU, an equal opportunity employer, requires all faculty to observe the university’s honor code and dress and grooming standards ( https://honorcode.byu.edu/). Preference is given to qualified members of the sponsoring church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in good standing.
Interested applicants must complete the faculty application available at https://bit.ly/2XGIuq3 and attach a current curriculum vita, a statement of research objectives, a statement of teaching objectives, and names of three professional references. Questions and correspondence should be addressed to Dr. Kyle Rollins, Chair, Faculty Search Committee, BYU, 430 EB, Provo, UT 84602, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The close date of this posting is June 30, 2020.